Temple of the Sun is the 50th episode of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, based on a story by Jeffry O'Hare, adapted for television by Patrick Duncan, and directed by Lou Kachivas. Zoar is captured by a power-hungry man who has discovered the secrets of the legendary Temple of the Sun.
He-Man tells viewers not to blindly follow orders from leaders who may be irresponsibly selfish, but consider what is right and wrong for themselves.
- Script was approved on May 9, 1983 and final script revision was finished on May 31, 1983.
- Elements from this story were adapted into a mini-comic, written by Michael Halperin and illustrated by Larry Houston,that came with several Masters of the Universe action figures titled 'Temple of Darkness!.' In the comic version, Nepthu is replaced by Skeletor.
- Nepthu transforms from a weak, malnourished man with long hair into a muscular figure based upon Marvel Comics villain Rama-Tut. However, an early, unused design only gave him a wizard's robe and a more cleaned up look.
- The animation of various objects falling out of Orko's hat would be reused in "Dree Elle's Return."
- The design of the Sand Demon reappeared in "Quest for the Sword; "The Witch and the Warrior" and "Into the Abyss."
- The Temple of the Sun was revisited in "The Great Books Mystery" and "Trouble's Middle Name".
|Previous Episode||Based on||Next Episode|
|Return of the Gryphon||Production Order||City Beneath the Sea|